What Can You Do with a B.A. in English?
Explore the numerous and varied careers available to those with a degree in English
Why Major in English?
"I never realized till recently just how valuable being able to write is. It’s apparent that writing has been the key to my success, both professionally and personally." - Sara Wagner ('05)
Information for ParentsWhat to expect for your English major
Undergraduate Studies in English
The English major is one of the largest in the College of Letters & Sciences, offering dozens of courses on literature, writing, linguistics, and much more. Our multi-talented faculty and instructors are frequently rated as some of the best teachers in the University, while our exceptionally bright and diverse majors excel both as undergraduates and beyond. We offer a rigorous course of study that can be tailored to your interests and, thanks to our attention to critical thinking and writing, it can serve you in a wide variety of future fields.
The English major will be changing in the fall of 2014. Click here to find out more about the various changes to the major. In addition, follow these links below to find out more information about our course offerings, major options, and opportunities in the department:
- The changes to how to customize your major in English to suit your interests and expand your knowledge, from literature to creative writing to language and linguistics
- The variety of interesting, engaging, and edifying courses offered through the Department
- How to schedule an advising appointment with our warm and wonderful undergraduate adviser, Dr. Karen Redfield
- The myriad opportunities available to our students, including scholarships, internships, student groups, and study abroad trips
- How to take advantage of the Department's Career Advising services, manned by the capable and resourceful Karen Knipschild
For a full list, check out the menu on the right!