Christa J. Olson
- Assistant Professor
- 6187d Helen C. White Hall
- (608) 263-3822
- E-mail Christa J. Olson
- Rhetorical history, theory, and criticism; visual rhetoric; Latin America
Degrees and Institutions
Ph.D. English & Writing Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 2010
M.A. Performance Studies, New York University, 2001
B.A. Arts & Social Justice, The Paracollege, St. Olaf College, 2000
- Hawhee, Debra, and Christa Olson. “Pan-Historiography: The Challenges of Writing History across Time and Space.” Theorizing the Historiography of Rhetoric. Forthcoming.
- “Performing Embodiable Topoi: Strategic Indigeneity and the Incorporation of Ecuadorian National Identity.” Quarterly Journal of Speech 96.3 (August 2010): 300-323.
- “Casta Painting and the Rhetorical Body.” Rhetoric Society Quarterly 39.4 (October 2009): 307-330.
- “Burke’s Attitude Problem.” College Composition and Communication (“Re/Visions” feature) 60.2 (December 2008): W19-W29.
19th and 20th century visual cultures in the Americas; historical methods and methodological pedagogy; publics, democracy, nationalisms, & transnationalism; coloniality and post-colonialism.
I teach courses in visual rhetoric, research methods, and the history of rhetoric. I enjoy working with students as they encounter, provide context for, and analyze persuasive artifacts of all types (images, speeches, texts, performances, etc.).