Imperial Leather: Race, Gender, and Sexuality in the Colonial Contest (London: Routledge, 1995).
Read Imperial Leather at the ACLS Humanites E-Book Collection.
Read reviews of Imperial Leather.
Dangerous Liaisons: Gender, Nation, and Postcolonial Perspectives (edited with Aamir Mufti and Ella Shohat) (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1997).
Read reviews of Dangerous Liaisons.
Double Crossings: Madness, Sexuality, and Imperialism (Vancouver, Canada: Ronsdale, 2001).
- Olive Schreiner, British Writers Series(Scribners, 1991).
- Simone de Beauvoir, European Writers Series (Scribners, 1990).
Special Journal Issues:
"Sex Workers and Sex Work," Editor, Social Text, 37 (Winter, 1993).
Read a review of this issue in Feminist Review, no. 51 (Autumn 1995) (pdf).
- "Queer Transexions of Race, Nation and Gender," Co-editor, with Philip Harper, Jose Esteban Munos and Trish Rosen, Social Text, 52/53 (Autumn-Winter, 1997).
- Skin Hunger: A Chronicle of Sex, Money and Desire (Jonathan Cape).
- Planet of Intimate Trespass: Sexuality, Property and Power in a Global Era (Routledge).
- Paranoid Empire: Specters Beyond Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib (Duke University Press).
- The Sex Work Reader (Vintage).
- "Paranoid Empire: Specters Beyond Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib," States of Emergency: Towards a Future History of American Studies, eds. Russ Castronovo and Susan Gilman (Durham, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 2009). Reprint of "Paranoid Empire: Specters from Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib,"(pdf) Small Axe (Columbia University Press, 2009).
- "The Angel of Progress: Pitfalls of the Term Post-Colonialism," Social Text, Spring, 1992. (pdf)
- "Azikwelwa (We Will Not Ride): Politics and Value in Black South African Poetry," Critical Inquiry, March 1987. (pdf)
- "Soft-Soaping Empire: Advertising and Commodity Racism," in The Body: A Reader, eds. Mariam Fraser and Monica Greco (Routledge, 2005).
- "'No Longer in a Future Heaven': Gender, Race and Nationalism," in Geoff Eley and Ronald Suny, eds. Becoming National: A Reader (Oxford University Press, 1996). (pdf)
- "Family Feuds: Gender, Nationalism and the Family," Feminist Review, #44, (Summer), 1993 (pdf)
- "Maid To Order: Commercial Fetishism and Gender Power," Social Text, Special Issue on Sexwork, (Fall) 1993. (pdf)
- "Screwing the System: Sex Work, Race and the Law," Boundary 2, Special Issue: Feminism and Postmodernism, 19, #2, (Summer), 1992. (pdf)
- "Back At the Chicken Ranch," The Guardian (London), Tuesday, May 12, 1992
- "The Scandal of the Whorearchy: Prostitution in Colonial Nairobi," Transition, 52, 1991. (pdf)
- "The Very House of Difference: Race, Gender and the Politics of South African Women's Narrative," Social Text, 25/26, 1990. (pdf)
- "Down By Law," The Guardian, (London) October 20, 1991.
- "Safe Sluts," The Village Voice, August 20, 1991.
- "Story Without A Climax," The Village Voice (March 1990).
- "Hope Deferred,"Women's Review of Books, November 1989. (pdf)
- "Fading To Black: South Africa Now," The Village Voice, July 12, 1988, (with Rob Nixon).
- "No Names Apart: The Separation of Word and History in Derrida's 'Le dernier Mot du Racisme,'" Critical Inquiry, September, 1986. (pdf)
- "'Unspeakable Secrets': The Ideology of Landscape in Conrad's Heart of Darkness," Midwestern Modern Language Association, Spring, 1984, 17, 1, 38-53. (pdf)
- "Consuming Desires." Review of Still Waters in Niger, by Kathleen Hill, Women's Review of Books, 17, 5 (2000): 5. (pdf)
- Review of Sex, Money and Morality: Prostitution and Tourism in South East Asia, by Thanh-Dam Truong, Times Literary Supplement, August 16, 1991.
- "Arms and the Woman." Review of And They Didn't Die, by Loretta Ncgobo (Virago, 1991), The Village Voice Literary Supplement, May 1991.
- "Rites of Defiance." (pdf) Review of Diana Russell, ed. Lives of Courage: Women For a New South Africa (Basic Books, 1990), New York Times Book Review, December 17, 1989.
- "Dangerous Liaisons." Review of Bananas, Beaches and Bases: Making Feminist Sense of International Politics, by Cynthia Enloe, Women's Review Of Books, June 1990. (pdf)